USCIS Certified Translation Requirements for Immigration into the US

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is a federal agency of the Department of Homeland Security that administers the nation’s lawful immigration system. It provides services such as adjudicating requests for immigration benefits, protecting Americans, securing the homeland, and honoring values. USCIS is a successor to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

If you are applying for a visa to work, study, or live in the United States, you’ll be required to submit some supporting documents to the USCIS. These documents may include identification documents, educational transcripts, and other materials that provide information about your background and qualifications.

If any of these documents are written in a language other than English, you will need to provide a certified English translation of them along with your application. This will ensure that the USCIS can review and consider the documents as part of the visa process.

What Is Certified Translation?

Certified translation refers to the translation of official documents, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, and transcripts, into another language. This type of translation is typically required by government agencies, schools, and other organizations for legal and administrative purposes.

A certified translation must be completed by a competent translator who provides a certificate of accuracy attesting to the authenticity of the translation. The certificate must be signed by the translator and/or the translation agency and includes their professional credentials and contact information.

See also  How to Translate Binary Code Using Free Online Tools

In addition to being accurate, a certified translation must also be complete, including all original content and formatting.

Which Documents Require Translation for Immigration?

The type of documents required for immigration purposes may vary depending on the type of immigration application you are submitting and the specific requirements of your case. Therefore, you need to carefully review the requirements for your specific immigration case to avoid any issues in the process.

Documents that require translation by USCIS include the following:

  • Birth certificates
  • Marriage certificates
  • Divorce certificates
  • Death certificates
  • Academic degrees and transcripts
  • Police records
  • Passports
  • Financial statements
  • Affidavits or sworn statements from individuals supporting your immigration application

What Are the USCIS Certified Translation Requirements?

The USCIS has established certain requirements for the submission of foreign language documents as part of an application or petition.

Specifically, any such documents must be accompanied by a certified English translation document.

The translation must be accurate and come with a certificate of accuracy signed by the translator, who must also certify that they are competent to provide the translation.

The exact requirements are stated in the code of Federal Regulations as follows: “Any document containing foreign language submitted to USCIS shall be accompanied by a full English language translation which the translator has certified as complete and accurate, and by the translator’s certification that he or she is competent to translate”.


Do I need to be certified to translate documents for USCIS?

No, you do not need to be certified to translate documents for USCIS.

How do I certify translation for USCIS?

To certify a translation for USCIS, the translator must provide a certificate of accuracy signed by them or their agency. The certificate should confirm that the translation is accurate and complete, and includes all of the original content and formatting. In addition, the certificate must include a statement from the translator confirming their competency to translate the document.

See also  The Difference Between Linguistic Validation and Cognitive Debriefing

Does USCIS require a notarized translation?

No, USCIS does not require that translations be notarized.

Can I make my own translation for USCIS?

It’s not possible to make your translation for USCIS. You must use a certified translation service.

Can I bring an interpreter to a USCIS interview?

You don’t need to bring a trained or licensed professional as an interpreter to your USCIS interview. The only requirements are that the interpreter is 18 or older and proficient in both your language and English.

How much does it cost to certify a translation?

The cost of a certified translation varies depending on the size of the document and the language. For documents with fewer than 200 words, it can cost as little as $15, while for documents with more than 200 words, it’s typically charged at $0.12 per word.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *